Friday, August 17, 2012

Embargo

So, clearly the everyday post has gotten away from me, but I think even if I get 4 or 5 posts up every week, that would still be a pretty good accomplishment. And because today is Friday and everybody loves Fridays, I decided that Fridays on this blog would be Fun Fridays!

Now, you may be thinking, what is fun or funny about the word embargo? Its definition isn't very entertaining, as it means to ban or stop the transport or trade or sale of things between parties. We hear it a lot in the news, with Iran and China and other people that the U.S. has had issues with. Sometimes the embargo appears in the form of sanctions.

Why then did I choose embargo for my first official Fun Friday? Well, as someone who enjoys word and wordplay, I have always chuckled at embargo because if you reverse the word, it becomes a phrase, "O Grab Me." Childish? Perhaps. But funny nonetheless. It reminds me of growing up in LA and having a friend point out that a local street, Moorpark, spelling "krap room" backwards. I'd hate to think that my love of words and wordplay started there, but you never know.

Have a great weekend. This is David Wartik. Word up!

1 comment: